Wednesday, September 6

The Journey to Completing My Thesis

-- was a rough one.

I had months to prepare everything but being the procrastinating student I am, I left it to the last minute to complete it. From focus groups interviews, to real interviews, to having your focus group interview rejected by the company's HR (ya, seriously) and then to meeting your supervisor just to know your data is not enough and you have to screen around 200+ articles to conduct a content analysis. There were nights I cried tears, contemplating whether they were real tears or tears of blood.

Ok that's just me being dramatic, but I did cry in the process. I was so, so stressed out.

Two months before my thesis was due, I came back to Malaysia. It was the perfect plan. I wanted to settle all my focus group and personal interviews, have a nice time eating plates of Nasi Kandar and Nasi Lemak and just chill in hot weather. My first night in Malaysia, instead of being happy and enjoying lovely family time I had dreaded for almost a year, shit happened and just like that, my three weeks of happiness became three weeks of me having to overcome a bunch of negative feelings.

Nope, it doesn't stop there. A week after, the focus group I had previously conducted with a company in Malaysia caught me off guard by an e-mail by the company's HR saying I can't use the data as it the company's privacy laws. A week after that, again left slapped with more unnecessary drama. It got to a point where I had so much burden inside of me, I legit felt like quitting my dissertation and either extending getting a Master's Degree or just fuck it, come home empty handed.

Alhamdulillah, I got my shit together (is that even appropriate to put in a sentence) and gained all the confidence I could to finish everything up. My sleeping cycle eventually became less of a cycle but more of a dead line (nope, no sleep) and I lost weight in the process but God knows how happy I was to see my beautiful, binded, maroon dissertation printed to perfection (despite the printing service conducting a typo but ok, takpelah, I let you go this time). Seeing the 20,000 words I typed miraculously in a few weeks made the stress worthwhile.

Of course, it was a fleeting moment.
... and then I booked a flight and went back to Malaysia the next day. Lol.

But besides all that, I realized something.

I used to be the girl who hated going to school. Honestly, the grades I've gotten to pass where I am now was just mere luck. I always hated exams and the thought of my 2nd Grade Bahasa Melayu teacher who said I wasn't going "anywhere" since I failed the subject at that time always changed my perception towards our education system (Disclaimer: I wasn't dumb. I had just came back from living in the States -- mind you, Cikgu Wahida, I got constant A's for BM till SPM after that). Never, have I ever, thought of doing a Master's Degree but once I clicked "submit" for my thesis on Turn-it-in, it made me realize 1001 things I may have never imagined myself doing which I just.. may end up doing.

No - this does not mean I'm signing up to do a PhD. It just made me realize, that I'm pretty much unstoppable if I constantly believe I deserve it. That's all. So what's next guys?

No comments:

Post a Comment