Tuesday, April 12

Spicy Ramen Noodles.. Tested.

I never really knew what the big deal was with spicy ramen noodles but I remember noticing it once Buzzfeed made a video of daring its staff to eat them. Few days later, I went to Jaya Grocer with Syazreen and there was only one huge packet of it and a cup left. I was sceptical to try and buy it and at that time, the both of us weren't really sure if it was the real spicy ramen everyone was raving about - so we bought yogurt instead, lol.

The next thing I know, almost every week, at least one of my friends on Snapchat were doing the challenge. From those studying in Australia, Malaysia and till the United States.. that was it. I had to try it. I had to know whether it was as good and as spicy as everyone said it was! 

Picture courtesy of Google - if you're interested to buy a pack, find Samyang Spicy Chicken Stir Fry Noodles.. and yes. There's a Halal logo on it. Ignore the rumours.

The plan was to try it with Syaz. However, she ended up buying it first with her friends in college (boo). That night, when she tried it, she told me it was (and I quote), "pedas gila nak mampus". She sent pictures of how sweaty her face was after trying the noodles.. so ok, the next day I went to Giant to find a packet or at least a cup. But to no avail, my search was a failure. 

It was not until yesterday, out of casual randomness, I texted I'zaz if he wanted to go find them with me. The next thing I knew, he picked me up and we were on our way to Jaya Grocer. "What will happen if you don't find it there?" he asked, "Well we'll go to Warta then". "If it's not in Warta?" this time he was snickering hoping my mission would yet again be a failure.. "well.. then I'll burn both of them down" (obviously I was joking around, don't take it seriously please hehe). This time, luck was on my side cause apparently Jaya Grocer had recently restocked their spicy ramen noodles so there was a variety of them! From small cups, big cups to the ones in packets! I bought a bundle, which consists of five packets and gave I'zaz one packet to try. We had sushi for lunch and as soon as I got home, I made myself a bowl of spicy ramen.

My verdict?
Well.. they weren't kidding when they said it is really, really, spicy.

The first few bites I was still strong. It tasted somewhat like kimchi but you could slowly feel the spicy tang burn your tongue and eventually... burn your whole mouth. I didn't like it at first, but after the third bite, it tasted quite okay. Since the whole purpose of the "Spicy Ramen Challenge" was to eat it without drinking any water, I was practically sweating and catching interval breathes to finish the whole bowl (!!!). But once I did, I ran to my fridge and gulped a whole bottle of cold water but it wasn't enough to make the spicyness go away. I ate a few slices of papayas, and still my mouth wasn't ok. I decided to just take an ice cube and put it on my tongue.. and that was how I was.. for about 15 minutes or so. 

Anyway, I would rate the spicy ramen a 6.5/10. Definitely something I'd eat when I'm hungry and have no other choice since I must say, they are really filling! Once you get the hang of it, they can be quite delicious too! Today I made a bowl for lunch and I added some cheese and fried an egg. I even put a bit of sweet soy sauce and it was so, so good. Try making your own little hybrid versions of spicy ramen!

I would upload a video of me eating them for the first time (which I did record by the way), but.. meh. I think I'll do another challenge video with one of my friends one day, hehe.

5 comments:

  1. please please upload the video kak aisyah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Milk would help the spice, I think!

    www.thelunchcompanion.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buat challenge vid eating this noodle with your friends pls hehe ;3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tunggu Amir balik! I plan to do one with him and Syaz hehehe.

      Delete